Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Blogging for BolderBOULDER Begins Now

Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Mayor Gierlach carrying his six year old daughter on his 
shoulders after completing the BolderBOULDER on her own
It is a privilege to be selected as one of the 'official BolderBOULDER Bloggers' for this year's 10K race.

The 38th annual BolderBOULDER will be held on Memorial Day, May 30th, 2016. It was named America’s All-Time Best 10K by Runner’s World and is the 3rd largest running race in the U.S. (7th largest in the world) The race attracts over 50,000 runners, joggers, walkers, wheelchair racers, and draws professional athletes from around the world to compete for one of the largest non-marathon prize purses in road racing.

I have run the BolderBOULDER about 8-10 times in the past 15 years, either in a banana suit, or costume, or with a child in my backpack. Later, in 2011, I was so proud to be running alongside my 6 year old daughter all the way through the course. But I’ve always had some sort of excuse for not training, or seriously ever running a 10K.

Therefore, this year I decided that I will actually train for the BolderBOULDER for the first time. I have an awesome trainer, which I've never had before, so I can learn what trainers do. My expectation, is that the training process, will probably have more of a lasting impact on my health habits than the race itself.

My goal is to develop a training schedule for the BolderBOULDER and see how it could be incorporated into a sustainable routine in my life, long after the 10K race is over. I may not train for anything else specific (other than next year’s BolderBOULDER or maybe the Neder-Nederland in the fall) but my goal is to adopt a running lifestyle for the next phase of my life.

Joe Gierlach in a banana suit in BolderBOULDER 2002
I am a beginner on my own journey. The individualism is one aspect that I like about running. I am looking for advice from any mid-level runners, to post comments on my blog posts, to help me, or people who empathize with my goal to develop a running routine.

Training Starts Today.

For my personal friends reading this, feel free to 'like', 'share', 're-post', subscribe to the blog, spread the word.

However, anyone can follow-along on my ten week journey, and I assume just about anyone could keep pace with the Mayor of Nederland on the same training schedule.

Using many wellness Apps, I've narrowed it down to a few that I use regularly. So you will be able to follow my training schedule, and maybe learn a little about wellness along the way.
[Related Story: Here is Joe's Bolder BOULDER Training Schedule]
In future posts, you'll see that I have experimented with different Apps and devices to track nutrition, water, steps, exercise, sleep, yoga and meditation. Some are easier than others, but overall, the Apps have helped me to improve my health so far, and I’d like to see what I can do with it.

I use a wireless headset and listen to the same running track every time I run. I know it sounds corny, but a computerized sexy woman's voice interrupts and tells me my mileage, pace, and split pace. Then she says, "You can do it, Keep going."

Based on which part of the song she interrupts, lets me know how I'm doing.

I compiled my list of songs in 'Joe's Running Track' on YouTube. For people new to my blog, I usually sign it with a video valediction, but for this series on training for the BolderBOULDER, my valediction will be my Running Track.



[Here is a Video Valediction] It is a link to my Running Track that I’ve been running to (in the same order) for the past few years, every time I run. It’s sort of Techno, Trip Hop, Progressive House music, but if you actually run to this track, I think you’ll understand what I mean. [What is a Video Valediction?]
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...